Tuesday, July 24, 2007

How it all started


Yes I dare to dream and I don't stop at that, I want my dreams to come true too,


talking about fairy tales, I believed in them, not any more, but till two years ago I did, had the wildest dreams, the life was an open space, my goals where right there next door to stars and what could’ve stopped me, I'm standing their at the beginning of the start line with my degree fresh out of the oven, and a high sprit


and then a reality check!!

First how far will you go finding a job without what is locally known around here by "wastah" in translation connections to people who can help you out, let me answer the question, not very far, all the good places need even better connections, so finding a job in Kuwait is a very challenging task, and it’s even harder without having the wastah factor in play

Heard about it all my life here in Kuwait but to be in direct contact with that bitter truth actually SUCKS!!


No worries, I didn't give up, what was that? A little bump on the road, it's not that I didn't see it coming, anyways moving on with my job hunting mission


Let's see, it was search, tons of copies of every piece paper I have about my life a dozen and a half photos, tests, interviews, phone calls, second interviews, thank god two months later I have received an offer from an international company, hope has been revived in my "I can concur the world" dream


By the way the job profile I was looking for was: any where private, working in the government was out of the question and to write down all the reason why I didn’t want to work in the government I’ll need an other page,A job that is in my field of study, dynamic, where I can work learn and create something that would make a difference

The above where criteria that most of Kuwaiti graduates would not agree with, since the general idea is go for minimum hours highest pay and minimum work, straight and simple

but as I discovered latter on that a standing across from a general preference would actually create me on other road bump, so here it comes


Second, I was faced with wave of disagreement, It is true especially in a small country added to the fact that I'm a female, where "what would people think?" would define your path in life, given the fact that you let them,
Being different was one thing but crossing the line was not something that people would let you get away with, the major factor that erupted the volcano was that this job requires traveling and a female traveling alone is a taboo in a conservative society

anyways skipping all the drama I wasn't going to let it go, just being so close to my dream and I worked hard for it and god has given me the chance to make it true, there was no turning back


And it happened August 2005 I started new path in my life that has changed me ever so profoundly and now I thank god for having it and thank my dad who gave me the right to choose, trusted me and treated me as an adult in spite of what all the others say,I'm so proud of having you dad, I wouldn't be the person that I am without you….
Cheers,
O

No comments: