Sunday, September 9, 2007

*Genuine **Borio - Journal days 1 to 2

I woke up and there I was in the back seat of a taxi in the middle of two men shouting at each other

El Shawyesh: ma te2darsh et3adey min hina, mamno3!!
Sawa2 el taxi: ya3ney eyh? Da ana bashta’3ala …..

I looked at the taxi driver and told him to just stop any where and let me get out of here

I arrived there few hours ago, and there I found my self back in Egypt, last time I was there I believe was in 2002 where I stayed in Cairo for a night to catch my flight back to Kuwait

I was successful to block the memories of that land for the past 5 years, but now every thing came rushing back

It’s not hate what I have for that place; I can’t tell what it could be…

We arrived late but some how because they’ve changed the timing we were actually 15 mints early

Getting out of the airport was very smooth, al7mdellah, arriving to the hotel showering, getting dressed and then off we went to Grand Hayatt, the place to be in Cairo on a Friday night

Setting by the Nile, boats where passing by, the weather is cool, and I ask my self again, what is it?
It’s heart break, the huge gap between people, it’s poverty, excruciating poverty and after you have your big meal in a fancy place you step out and there you see it with your own eyes,

Next morning, going around the city fetching for stuff, of course unsuccessfully, the things you see out there on the street are quite original,

Sign reads; “Doctor Decent Excellent” you start to wonder if Doctor is his occupation or name

We arrived to the boat where we are supposed to have launch,
a flash back; “6 years ago a little boy selling flowers emerged out of no where it was so sudden that my mom screamed “’7ara3tney” and he replayed “ya3ney eyeh ‘7are3teney?” I think he was 5 years old”
finished launch and as I was reaching for the Taxi door a boy emerged right in front of me selling flowers, an other Egyptian guy came and sent him away,
In the taxi, the thought that this boy could be the same boy years ago scares me… could it be?

Looking from the window, to the Nile shore, it’s like lovers spot
I’m starting to build a theory that romanticism flourish near rivers!! Around every corner you’ll find two seating together holding hands, talking and facing the river,

The entire population has an engagement / wedding ring, even that flower boy who could be a 12 year old!!

I’m in the bath room now just about to step in the bath tube to take a shower when the phone started ringing, covered with a towel went out there to answer it;

Maha, are you a sleep?
No
How are you?
Fine, who is this?
Ayad, “the guy with me in the course”
And we continued talking, in English??

After I hang up

Mom, who was that?
Maha, Ayad
Mom, what did he say?
Maha, he asked me out for dinner, and I said no
Mom, What!!! Why let him come and have dinner with us!!
Maha’s head; if we where in Kuwait and someone whom I’ve never met calls me up and you answer and hand it over to me “I’m not even commenting on that” to ask me out for dinner and I say no, you’d kill me either way!!

In the taxi again, window open, variety of
Smells; Donkey
Garbage
Manure
Dust particles that would actually cause you an injury while smashing to your face
Water particles which I don’t want to think what other option it might be

Passing by the TV building, I still remember in the “fawazier” where Nielly would be dressed in purple, she used to wear it as a hat

Setting next to me now a little 3 year old girl golden logs blue eyes, when I speak to her she doesn’t understand a word I say, so for the first time since I came here I converted and started speaking Egyptian, we sat there drawing a house a tree a flower a cloud and grass, then she took the paper fold it and put it in her bag…
An a 8 year old boy join us, comes in and gives me a big hand shake a kiss on my cheek
I do love kids…

I walk by and I look at my reflection in the mirror, I’m pleased that yes my reflection is different, yes I’ve grown, I deserve it, it sure cost me a lot

In the morning, I see him setting across from me in the lobby, he didn’t see me yet, I can tell it’s him, it’s time to practice my latest formed theory about dealing with men, let him make the first move, always

We are now setting together talking, no spark, an other theory, since I’ve dealt with guys before, I’m waiting for the moment when I meat a guy and there would be a spark, I can totally differentiate between relationships I can have with a guy, but for that special someone I’d like to be involved with romantically there should be a spark

255 Emails, I have to go through them, urgent work, sure everything urgent, Mr, A#$ H0%#& who is supposed to handle things since I’m away, sends me this:

I’m confident in your ability to complete… yeah right!!

I’m so tired….

Cheers,
O

*Shop name which sells fake bags, yeah right!!
**That’s what a sign which looks exactly like Orio white and blue but here it’s Borio, laa 9ij walla kilish mo baygeynha!!!

4 comments:

Bloggylife said...

LOOOOL WOMAN ...

Eygpt um-eldonya :P

Wallah it seems you are having fun. Yeah and parents once your out of the country the rules seem to dissolve and you enter the gray area ;)

I forgot, but Rania said something funny about love in Eygpt, where everybody is in&out of love all the time.

255 emails!!! WTF!!! Demand an increase in salary at this moment. Threaten them with your resignation. It is a good time for a promotion. Kick 'em when they're down ... OMG i'm soooo mean ... you get it ... cz 'el-7elween elle 3endee' are giving me the time of my LIFE.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Egypt :) Hope you have a great time ....!

Aisha said...

allaah wanasa i wanna go to Egypt
u make it sound like something out of a novel

Oryx said...

Mirandarousa,

It has been Loool a lot around here :D
You know what, seeing the actual things makes me agree with Randa, some how here being in love is a constant state that has to be accruing in their lives, and about work don’t worry enshallah I’ll show them a part of me that they never even imagine it existed, this time they did pushed me to the limit

Amu
Thank you :’)

Palo-girl
You know I’ve been to Egypt before, and now I tell you the secret ingredient is, be there I a time when there is no tourist “specialy from the gulf” also the weather would be nice, have a great easy going company, and get an Egyptian guide to take you to all those unknown places so you get the real feel of it, and here yes, it’s a 7kayah :’)